Monday, August 15, 2016

Briefs for August 15, 2016

Fyvush Finkel died over the weending at the age of 93. He's one of those people who grew up in one of those old Jewish neighborhoods of New York that you see in old movies like The Jazz Singer, and started his career in the Yiddish theater. He's probably best known for the TV series Picket Fences.

I only got around to watching one movie off the DVR this weekend, Alexander Hamilton. This one has the daring casting of having a sixty-something white guy (George Arliss) play the main role of a man who was around 40 at the time of the movie's events. Arliss doesn't get much chance to shine, and everybody else stands around declaiming as if they were on a theater stage. The movie isn't available on DVD as far as I know, so I can't do a full-length post on it.

Today on TCM brings a day of Roddy McDowall movies; tomorrow brings a day of the films of Anne Baxter. Baxter's day kicks off with Bedevilled at 6:00 AM, a film which I have to admit is new to me. Now I just have to see which movies I'm going to clear from the DVR to make room for it....

No comments: