Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Some things I haven't seen before

I didn't notice it until yesterday evening when I was looking at the TCM schedule for the upcoming week, but Honeysuckle Rose is coming up on the schedule at 4:00 PM today. Willie Nelson stars in this movie, which apparently introduced his song "On the Road Again". At least, the song was nominated for an Oscar, which implies that it had to have been written directly for the movie. Ever since I found out the song was nominated, I've wanted to see the movie, and I think this is the first time I've seen it on the TCM schedule.

TCM's "Trailblazing Women" spotlight looks at the contributions various actresses made during World War II, although it's probably more accurate to say that it's putting the spotlight on those actresses, since not all of the movies are World War II-themed. Hollywood Canteen (8:00 PM) certainly is (the Canteen was, as I understand it, co-founded by John Garfield and Bette Davis), but the 1935 movie Princess Tam Tam (overnight at 2:30 AM) clearly isn't. Josephine Baker is the woman being highlighted there, and she certainly deserves more attention, although this is a movie I still haven't gotten around to seeing.

In between all this, TCM is running the World War II-era short I Am an American around 7:40 PM. This one looks at the contributions immigrants have made to American war efforts, specifically by looking at one composite immigrant family that came to the US in the mid 1800s and served in every war up to World War II.

No comments: