Saturday, February 11, 2017

Blaxploitation movies streaming; minority women and children hardest hit

I didn't realize it since I don't have an affiliate in my market, but broadcast digital subchannel Bounce TV apparently started a streaming service called "Brown Sugar" a few months back. Somebody on a non-movie-related site linked to a New York Times' blogger's take on the channel that was published a few days ago.

Bounce TV is one of those channels you find on the .2 or higher subchannels of your local broadcasters, much like nostalgia channels MeTV or Decades or the game show channel Buzzer, and is aimed at black audiences. Brown Sugar apparently will have a focus on blaxploitation movies of the 70s. I couldn't actually find the link to "Brown Sugar" on the Bounce TV site, so I'm not certain what all is on offer. And I don't do streaming video anyway, since I don't have the bandwidth for it.

God love the Times, though, printing all the news that's fit for white, upper-middle-class Manhattanites to read. I have no idea about the blogger, whether he's white, black, or even a woman using a man's name, but boy do all those criticisms sound like things a certain segment of the white population thinks black people should have. The writer obviously knows his audience. The Urban Daily and Hip Hop Wire seem rather more positive to the service.

No comments: