Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Leaving the factory

My bosses have been expecting us plebes to work an obscene amount of overtime recently, to the point where I couldn't post first thing this morning because I was getting up to go in early. So since my job doesn't require me to use my brain, I was thinking about what to blog about, and was thinking about that old Lumière short of a bunch of workers leaving the factory at the end of the shift en masse to go home. It turns out, I blogged about it four and a half years ago on Auguste Lumière's birthday.

So what other movies have scenes of people clocking in and out? My next thought was of how the Montgomery Clift character meets the Shelley Winters character at the end of the work day in A Place in the Sun. By the same token, Thelma Ritter isn't meeting anybody, but she and her co-workers can be seen at the end of a shift as temp workers in a scene in The Mating Season.

There's a funnier end-of-shift scene in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, although that's not at a factory, but on the building site. A different funny factory scene, albeit of the assembly line instead of clocking in and out, is in I'm All Right Jack.

But perhaps the best of them all is in Metropolis:



That's how I've been feeling these past few weeks.

No comments: